Ascension Via Christi Pittsburg
In 1903, when the Sisters of St. Joseph came to Pittsburg, Kan., they opened Mt. Carmel Hospital, known today as Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg, a regional leader in health care. Continuing the Sisters' legacy, we strive every day to make a difference in the lives of those we serve. We're committed to our mission of serving as a healing presence with special concern for our neighbors who are vulnerable.
Among our hospital's features are:
- A new 40,000-square-foot Surgery Center that includes state-of-the-art technology, including robotic-assisted, minimally invasive surgeries with the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System.
- The Dr. M.K. Parsi Women's Center, which includes a level II nursery and central fetal monitoring system.
- The Via Christi Heart Center, which supported by our newly renovated $2.6 million Cardiac Stepdown Unit, features a state-of-the-art catheterization lab.
- Our Emergency Room, which is recognized as a Level III Trauma Center by the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons.
- Our extensive specialty service lines, which include diagnostics, surgery, physical therapy and occupational health.
- University of Kansas Medical Center
- AT Still - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
- KCU College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Total Beds - 110
- Admissions - 2,965
- ER Visits - 15,028
- Outpatient Visits: 93,791
- Births - 535
- Inpatient Surgeries - 711
- Outpatient Surgeries - 2,465
- Trauma Center - No
- DOs on Staff - 15
- MDs on Staff - 34
- Family Medicine (1 month) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Internal Medicine (2 months) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Ob/Gyn (1 month) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Pediatrics (1 month) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Psychiatry (1 month) - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Surgery (2 months) - Inpatient/Outpatient
This site schedules clinical experiences in one month increments.
CoxHealth - Springfield, MO
- Family Medicine
Freeman Health System - Joplin, MO
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
Via Christi Hospitals Inc - Wichita, KS
- Family Medicine
Resources & Benefits
- Facility Resources: Students will have access to a computers, internet, lounge, medical library, medical records, phones and printers while on duty at the hospital
- Meal Benefits: None at this time
- Visiting Student Housing: Housing is unavailable at this time
Duties & Opportunities
- Student Duties: Students are required to participate in weekly rounds, night call and weekend rounds as assigned
- Didactic Opportunities: Students are required to participate in sessions provided 4 times per month
- OMT/OPP Opportunities: Students are required to participate in the OMM Lab held on the KCU-Joplin Campus
Unique Site Characteristics
- Background check and drug screen is required annually
- BLS, ACLS and PALS certifications must be current
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) required annually
- Global Track Students must communicate third-year clerkship obligations to site as soon as the Clerkship Match Process is finalized
- Military Track Students must communicate third-year clerkship obligations to site as soon as the Clerkship Match Process is finalized
- NBOME COMAT Subject Exams are proctored at this core site
- Orientation is provided prior to the first clerkship
- TB blood test required annually
- TB Mask Fit provided on-site, at cost to student (approximately $45)
- Travel may be required for third-year Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA)
- Travel required to meet third-year residency clerkship requirement
Additions or changes to this site's information may occur at any time - information last updated 11/4/19